Your trees endure storms day in and day out. Sometimes, the weather can get the best of your trees. Whether struck by lightning or hit with intense wind, your trees can become storm damaged and a liability for your family. You may not know whether your tree is dead afterwards, at risk of falling, or will recover on its own. At 770-Tree-Guy, our team is run by certified arborists, which are essentially tree doctors. We are also TRAQ (Tree Risk Assessment Qualified) certified so we can make informed recommendations about your storm damaged trees. If you have storm damaged trees, follow these important tips:
- Make Sure That You Are Safe—Not all storm damaged trees are dangerous, but your tree could drop branches or fall later even if it stood up to the initial damage. There are crucial signs to look out for when you have a damaged tree, such as split tree branches, leaning, hanging branches, broken treetops, damage or decay in tree trunk, or new visible roots or uprooting. If you have observed any of these signs, please contact 770-Tree-Guy right away. We want to ensure your safety and address your storm damaged tree. You should avoid DIY care for your storm damaged tree and entrust your care to a trained professional armed with the right equipment for a safe solution. Trees are heavy and powerful so you could endanger your home or family by not informing a professional.
- Only Use DIY Care on Small Branches—If there are small branches broken or hanging from your storm damaged tree, you can prune these branches carefully to prevent further damage. Large branches should always be left to professionals. You should not place yourself or your home at risk by pruning anything large. When in doubt about the safety of pruning a branch, do not try it yourself. Call our professional team!
- Check Tree Splits Carefully—If your split tree is not hanging or deformed, your tree will probably heal without any intervention. A small split is like a papercut—it is annoying, but it will go away on its own. When a split is more severe or on the trunk of a tree, this is a time to call in the tree doctors. A significant split will not heal up naturally. Your tree may recover from this damage without dying, but it will need medical attention. We can help you get your tree on the path to recovery quickly. When in doubt about the severity of a split, call us for an assessment just in case.
- Never Let Your Trees Be Topped—Whether topped by a homeowner or a “professional,” tree topping is a dangerous practice which should not be done. Tree topping can permanently damage your trees and make them a liability anytime a storm comes. When trees are topped, their branches will grow back in a weakened condition, which will make them a risk for breaking or the tree toppling. If a tree company recommends topping, they are not a tree company worth using. Not only is the practice terrible for the tree, but it is also putting you and your home at a significant risk. If less than 50% of your tree’s top is damaged, we may be able to nurse your damaged tree back to health. If more than 50% is damaged, the tree may be beyond repair and require removal. We are deeply passionate about trees and never recommend removal unless that is the only viable choice to keep you and your property safe.
- Choose a Licensed and Certified Tree Service—Trees are too large and powerful to let just anyone handle their care. A licensed and certified service will have the experience, training, and equipment to ensure that your storm damaged tree does not do further damage to your property or home. When you choose 770-Tree-Guy, you can feel confident that your storm damaged trees will get the appropriate care and your safety will always remain our highest priority.
If you have a storm damaged tree that you are concerned about, call 770-Tree-Guy today to schedule an assessment. We will dispatch quickly to make sure that you stay safe!